Mathematics Placement Test
Please read below for information about the Mathematics Placement Test. If you have questions, please call Freida Warren at 334-244-3721.
Effective January 2013, you are allowed to take the Math Placement test a maximum of two times. You must allow at least 30 days between tests.
You are required to take the Mathematics Placement Test only if:
- You scored below 20 on ACT Math or below 510 on SAT Math within the last three years; OR
- It has been three years or more since you last took the ACT, SAT or the AUM placement test.
If your ACT Math score is 25 or higher (SAT 600 or higher), you are cleared to register for Calculus (MATH 1610 or 1510), although you may still register for Finite Math (MATH 1100), Precalculus (Math 1120), Precalculus with Trigonometry (MATH 1150), or Trigonometry (Math 1550), as needed for your major.
If you must take the placement test, please note that the Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences uses the COMPASS ACT Mathematics Test. You can find information about the test (including sample test questions) by going to http://www.act.org/compass/. We administer only the Algebra, College Algebra, and Trigonometry tests. To see a list of topics covered on the Placement Test, click on Placement Test Topics. To take the AUM Math Placement Test at another location
, first v
isit the Compass Web site
to find another testing location and then contact Freida Warren at 334-244-3721. To take the test on the AUM campus (Room 302 Taylor Center)
, choose from one of the dates below:
Wednesday 5:00 PM-6:30 PM
Friday 1:00-2:30 PM
(Times above are in effect Wednesday, January 7, 2015 through Friday, May 15, 2015.)
No Placement Testing during Spring Break (March 23-March 27, 2015). Instructions:
- Students wishing to take the Math Placement Test at AUM will need to pay a $10 test fee in the Cashier Office and bring the receipt with them to the testing session. Students who wish to take the test on Wednesdays should make arrangements to pay their testing fee before the Cashier Office closes at 5 p.m. No student will be allowed to take the test without a receipt from the Cashier Office.
- The test takes an average of 30 minutes, so you will need to allow at least 30 minutes for testing.
- No appointment is needed. At one of the specified times above, go to Taylor Center 302 (Mathematics Computer Lab).
What to bring:
- Your receipt from the Cashier Office
- Picture ID
- Calculator (No graphing calculators are allowed. The Windows calculator is included online with the test.)
- Your student ID number (S number)
NOTE: YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TURN IN YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE TESTING. IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE REPORT OF YOUR TEST RESULTS.
You will receive a printout of your test results, including our placement recommendations, when you complete the test. You need to show this printout to your advisor before registering for a math class. This is particularly important in case your test results qualify you to take one of several options of math courses.
It is the policy of AUM to provide students with disabilities appropriate testing accommodations on the Mathematics Placement Test. Students with disabilities are encouraged to provide a minimum two weeks notification and appropriate documentation to the Center for Disability Services (CDS) for Mathematics Placement testing accommodations. Students may contact CDS in Taylor Center 101 or call CDS at 334-244-3631 prior to or upon enrollment at AUM.
If you have taken a math course at another college, come to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences office, Goodwyn Hall 213, to be cleared to the appropriate AUM Mathematics course. Bring copies of your college transcript showing the math course(s) you have passed. An unofficial transcript is acceptable for this purpose. Also bring a course description of the highest level mathematics course you have taken.